Thursday 9 May 2013

Nepotism and being overlooked at work.

I have only worked in two places since University, both being further education colleges. One, I was a support assistant, and completed a teaching qualification. I moved to the other job because I wasn't being offered teaching in my current workplace. In both places, it seems one thing is true: It's not how good you are, or how hard you work - it's who you know.

I recently applied for a position at my work with a little more responsibility and a lot more money. I fit the criteria for the role, but was not granted an interview. Who was the only person that they interview? The principal's wife. Who got the job? The principal's wife.

Did I ever have a chance of getting the position? I think it's unlikely. Although they say that it's a fair process it definitely isn't. I have been to countless interviews where I have had a great interview, the feedback has been excellent, but they had someone already in line for the job who had been working at the college. Again and again I attend interviews which are largely pointless because I don't have a chance.

Ok, that's all understandable. I'd be upset if someone new got chosen over me at interview when I know the college. It is rubbish, but it happens. Now though, they new people who have been employed into the college I currently work at are being offered my teaching hours.

Basically, I teach both Functional English and maths and GCSE English. I hate teaching Functional maths and only have a GCSE in maths already, yet have a degree in English, so it's ridiculous that I teach maths. I have now heard that the new employee (principal's wife), and someone who currently teaches adults, have been promised GCSE English teaching next year. Working out the number of hours we have, that means my timetable would be completely made up of teaching Functional Skills.

In order to prove myself as a teacher of GCSE I took on extra teaching on top of a full timetable, in the evening, last year. Yet someone who has never taught it before is being given the hours I worked hard for. I have been to see people asking for opportunities to teach Access English, or A level English, which has gone completely unnoticed. I have even volunteered myself for extra teaching of adults this year for no extra pay. I am not on the radar, not regarded as important, and overlooked. How does this make me feel? Well, not like a valued member of staff, that's for sure!

What can I do about this? The first thing I've done is sent an email to the person making decisions detailing my concerns. I've already been to see them earlier in the year, after which they forgot who I am, so I'm not sure it'll make much difference. I either fight back and remind people of what I want and what I can do, or I roll over and take it, and I'm not prepared to roll over and take it. In my opinion, if something is unfair then something should be done about it, and people should know. If nothing happens as a result of that, I'll continue to remind people of what I want and who I am. Other than that I don't know what else I can do other than leave the company, but without more experience I won't be hired elsewhere.

No comments: